This opportunity provides financial and capacity building resources to community organizations and individuals (“partners”) interested in using existing oral history collections to produce public humanities projects. Potential projects may focus on: neighborhoods, social organizations, political history, labor, faith-based groups, cultural trends, historic events, or other themes that can draw on one or more collections of oral histories. All projects must be thematically focused on Washington, DC and must benefit the residents of Washington, DC. Potential projects may include: exhibitions, listening stations, written research, film/video, curricula for K-12 and higher education, websites, and computer applications.
This opportunity is for projects conducted between [X-X].
Applicants may request up to $8,000 depending on the scope of their projects.
All proposals must be received by [X].
Successful applications will propose projects that bring existing oral history interviews about Washington, DC’s life, history and culture out of libraries, archives, and personal collections, and into the public view. Proposals must identify which oral history collections will be used, which audience(s) the project will reach, and which theme, focus, or research question they aim to illuminate. Each funded project will result in a lasting digital final product that will be added to HumanitiesDC’s DC Digital Museum.
Refer to our qualifications page for full eligibility details, including qualifying questions, required roles, and grant-specific definitions.
Additional Requirements & Information
All partnership projects will be supported by a professional oral historian contracted by the DC Oral History Collaborative. This consultant will be responsible for providing support and advice to project directors as well as ensuring that all project work is progressing smoothly.
The oral history consultant will schedule several required check-in sessions with partnership project directors over the course of the project period. This may include 3-4 meetings with the entire grantee cohort for this program and cycle.
All partnership projects must participate in joint marketing and communications campaigns in support of the DC Oral History Collaborative during the grant period.
No member of, nor delegate to Congress, Mayor, or City Council member, nor officer nor employee of the District, nor officer nor employee of the DC Public Library may benefit financially from a partnership grant.
Awardees agree to document all grant expenditures and provide a final report at the end of the project period using forms provided by HumanitiesDC.
Awarded applicants will receive 80% of the full amount of the grant upon their signature of the partnership agreement document. The remaining 20% will be paid no later than [X] after successful completion of a standard set of grantee milestones. All grant funds must be expended before [X].
Any changes to the scope or budget of a partnership project must be communicated to HumanitiesDC in writing and approved by both the Consulting Oral Historian and the Deputy Director of Programs.
Awarded applicants will sign grant conditions that constitute a legally binding contract between HumanitiesDC and the applicant’s sponsoring organization or a designated responsible party. The organization or responsible party will be legally obligated to complete the project under the terms of the grant conditions.
100% of awarded grant funds must be applied to direct program costs. This may include salary, consulting fees, and/or honoraria for individuals working on the project, but cannot include indirect costs, overhead, rent, utilities, or administrative fees.
All final products collected as part of this partnership grant opportunity will be collected by the DC Oral History Collaborative and made available to the DC Public Library for accession to their Special Collections and will be archived in HumanitiesDC’s DC Digital Museum. Awarded grantees will retain the shared rights with the DCOHC, HumanitiesDC, and the DCPL to retain copies, publicly distribute, and publish derivative works based on the materials they collect.
Thank you to our partners:
HumanitiesDC is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, HumanitiesDC
will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If accommodation is needed, please
notify us at least one week prior to the event of your need.